A new poll by Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy reveals that just 30 percent of registered voters believe Supreme Court nominees should be asked about their religious beliefs. Of the remaining 70 percent, 62 percent believe they should not, and 8 percent are undecided. First Liberty shared this poll with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham in a memo.
This comes on the heels of the Supreme Court hearing for Amy Coney Barrett, where Democrats grilled her for her affiliation with an Indiana Christian school that upholds the Biblical definition of marriage, The Christian Post reports.
According to The Christian Post, this is the first in at least ten different occasions they have grilled President Trump’s judicial nominees over religion.
In the memo to Lindsey Graham, First Liberty states that “Questions directed at the religious beliefs of past nominees–including Judge Barrett–have been concerning to many Americans, including us. In nearly every other employment context, asking questions concerning an applicant’s religious beliefs would be an employment law violation.”
According to the intro to the poll written by Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy, 1,000 registered voters were asked the question in addition to whether they were likely to vote. They all claimed they were likely voters. The margin of error for the poll was 3.2 percent at 95 percent confidence, meaning as little as 27 percent of the voting public could be for asking religious questions to Supreme Court nominees.
Additionally, the poll asked if these 1,000 likely voters would be for court packing, of which a majority answered they would not, but roughly 1 in 10 voters were undecided. Only 35 percent supported the notion.
Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy is a polling company that is used by over 350 news organizations nationwide to provide public opinion polling on a range of issues and political candidates. According to them, “No other polling firm has its record publicly tested and validated as long and often as Mason-Dixon.”
Photo courtesy: (C)Getty Images/Brian P Irwin
John Paluska has been a contributor for Christian Headlines since 2016 and is the founder of The Daily Fodder, a news outlet he relaunched in 2019 as a response to the constant distribution of fake news.